Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Missing Tom Lehrer

The times would benefit greatly from his wit and satirical songs. I was a very early fan, buying his original 10" LP in high school.
When I was still at Cal Tech, maybe it was spring 1958, several of us drove to Stanford to see a Lehrer concert. Two of our small high school FSAs (Future Scientists of America) had gone there, including Doug, with whom I recently reconnected. It was a memorable concert, more memorable than I thought, as I would find out decades later.
In the late 80s I wrote, directed and produced a hyperdrama called Cocktail Suite, because it took place in a bar-restaurant. Three intersecting plays running simultaneously through the large space. I wanted to use two Lehrer songs in one of the plays but couldn't afford royalties. I had no budget. (Ends up we made enough I could've afforded royalties). The agency representing Lehrer wasn't interested in giving us a break. I couldn't understand it. This was an experimental piece in an obscure location. No one would ever hear about it. Somehow or other, after being rejected by the agency, I got Lehrer's home phone number. I explained the situation. He didn't sound very sympathetic until I put in that I had seen the Stanford concert mentioned above. Ends up this was one of his more memorable gigs. Being there qualified me as a true believer and he immediately changed attitude. Yes, use them, he said, but I will deny ever giving permission if my agency ever finds out.  Of course, they never did. I got to use the songs and, much better, had a delightful phone conversation with Tom Lehrer that lasted almost an hour!


About Tom Lehrer

No comments: