Monday, March 21, 2011

My career: a summary by books

If you read these books in order, you'd have a roughly chronological literary experience of following my career.

The Man Who Shot Elvis and other stories The Man Who Shot Elvis and other stories ... I began writing seriously as a writer of literary short stories, finally breaking into the market and publishing with some consistency. Three stories were selected for the Roll of Honor in the annual Best American Short Stories anthology. At about this time, I abandoned fiction (a failing novel) for playwriting.

Seven Plays Seven Plays (finalist, Oregon Book Award) ... The best decade for my playwriting career was in the 1980s when I was playwright-in-residence at the New Rose Theatre and later at the Cubiculo Theatre. I had a solid regional reputation.

Movies They Should Have Made Movies They Should Have Made ... I started screenwriting after a producer bought the film rights to my play Waitresses. I optioned scripts and eventually had several shorts made, then much later started making my own digital films. I've actually made more money as a screenwriter than as a playwright despite more production and critical success in the theater.

The Seagull Hyperdrama The Seagull Hyperdrama ...  A commissioned theater piece introduced me to what is now called hyerdrama and I became addicted. This is the area in which I am best known internationally, my work considered in several graduate theses in European countries. I even am credited with coining the term hyperdrama in one book but this may not be true. At any rate, just as moving to theater took energy from short fiction, my enthusiasm for hyperdrama took energy from traditional theater. In both cases, my overall career was not advanced by these enthusiasms -- but I followed my bliss, as they say.

Kerouac's Scroll (n/a) Kerouac's Scroll ...  As I aged, I got tired of collaboration and returned to fiction, not to stories but to novels. This is the book that has received the most praise from my peers.

Dead Body in a Small Room: A Mystery Dead Body In A Small Room ...  I also tried my hand at mystery fiction. This one was a Mystery of the Year finalist at Foreword Magazine.


Dark Mission (Library Edition) Dark Mission ...  I wrote the libretto for John Nugent's fine opera.

Dress Rehearsals: The Education of a Marginal Writer Dress Rehearsals ... My somewhat complicated career is the focus of my memoir.

All these books (and others) are available at Amazon. Here is the link to begin.

Coming this summer, In My Old Age, my first book of poems.

No comments: