Monday, March 14, 2011

Parenting

I have no experience in parenting, which puts me in a minority of those without one of the basic human experiences. I decided half a century ago that my "children" would be my literary works, for better or for worse -- and it's been for both over the years. As I've gotten older, I occasionally regret this decision but whenever I do the gods expose me to the dark side of parenting, parents suffering incredible grief over addict kids and worse, and my own regret turns to counting my blessings. I am godfather to two grown men I've known since they were babies, sons of my late soul brother, so I enjoy this small part of the experience. All in all, I suppose I would do the same thing all over again. Yet, it would be nice to have grandkids playing sports to watch etc.

No comments: