Saturday, March 26, 2011

My favorite mother-in-law story

In the early 70s, "Sally's" parents visited us in Eugene, where we were both grad students. It was summer, we had time off, so planned a trip up the coast together, ending up in Seattle to visit S's brother. On the FIRST NIGHT, staying at the Oregon coast, at one of the fancier resorts, S and her father got into a huge argument during dinner. It continued after dinner at the bar. They were arguing about how he treated her jr high school boyfriend. I couldn't believe it! Anyway, Martha and I bailed and ended up taking a long walk on the beach. I really dug her, so this was a grand time. However, we returned to discover that S and her father refused to continue on the trip together, so we drove back to Eugene and they rented a car and continued up the coast. Unbelievable!

However, decades later, I would be reminded of S's capacity to hold a grudge because after she came out, she held one against me and holds it to this day. Unbelievable once again. UNBELIEVABLE.

Well, my dear departed mother said it all: "people are more interesting than anybody."

No comments: