Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Luck of the draw

I've said here many times before how lucky I am to belong to my generation, as perfectly dropped into history as any generation I know. Consider ...

  • I was born before Pearl Harbor and have childhood memories of WWII.
  • I was not raised on TV.
  • I lived in So Cal when orange groves were everywhere.
  • I was too young to go to Korea.
  • I was a teenager at the birth of rock and roll, 1954, and the rise of west coast "cool" jazz.
  • I did my service during the Cold War, a Russian Linguist, consequently spared the upcoming Vietnam.
  • I became a writer when "literary novel" was not a pejorative term as it is today.
  • I was in grad school when the predominant pastime was arguing about ideas.
  • I'm old enough now to be spared the future, The future is going to suck. By the grace of the gods, I won't be here.

Luck of the draw. No other explanation. Luck of the draw, and I'll damn well take it.

No comments: