Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Unsolicited calls

H is a much nicer person than I am. Despite our name on a no-call list, we get unsolicited calls from time to time, usually asking someone to take a survey. If H has time, she takes it. If not, she often suggests a time when the caller can call again. I do just the opposite. If I'm in a good mood, I simply mumble no and hang up. If not in a good mood, I may yell at them about the sanctity of a secret ballot and keeping one's opinions to oneself -- this, of course, before rushing to write my opinions down for all the world to see. But I hate phone calls in general and unsolicited ones can set me off.

This also is no doubt a reaction to my drinking days when I made many, many calls under the influence to friends hither and yon, waking them at strange hours to share some inconsequential piece of drunken nonsense. I already did my period of calls, enough phone experience for one lifetime. (In fact, a friend in LA was remembering one of our calls years and years ago that lasted several hours in the wee morning. She seemed to remember it fondly. I don't.)

No comments: