Monday, July 12, 2010

The Great American Play

Reread Thornton Wilder's The Skin of Our Teeth this afternoon. Hadn't read it in years. Surely this is "the great American play". It's contemporary, more "modern" artistically than 99.9% of the plays written by Americans today, funny and sad, relevant (big time!) ... just an amazing play. It's rarely done but I see in the spring there is a production in Palm Springs, maybe I can twist H's arm to go. Man, I admire and love this play! Wilder is something else. It's also less "optimistic", more indecisive about the future, than I remember. I like that. Reading this has raised my spirits today. What an accomplishment.




At left: Outstanding production on PBS some years ago. (Diana Bellamy did a number of outstanding performances here, as actress and director. I think she plays a dinosaur among other roles.)

No comments: