Saturday, September 26, 2009

Designer uniforms

I hate designer football uniforms. I hate the fact that the showboat of this fad is my alma mater Oregon, the university subsidized by Nike. I see Cincinnati also has gone the designer uniform route, which is why I hope Fresno State upsets them today. Fortunately my other alma mater, UCLA, not only has no designer uniforms but no NIKE uniforms, they are one of the very few college football teams who haven't bought into the swoosh mania. Go Bruins!

It's almost embarrassing to root for Oregon when they wear these silly uniforms. They look like they belong in a musical, not a football game. If Cal, with traditional sensible uniforms, beats them to a pulp today, I won't even be upset. I don't know how Oregon is going to divorce Nike -- a university president with balls would help -- but it sure must happen for me to get enthusiastic about them again.

No comments: