Friday, March 30, 2007

More writerly chores

Picked up my syllabus at the copy center and reserved my DVD players and VCRs for the term. Ready to go!

Been brooding about the cold war novel and the new story twist appeals to me more and more, though I'm not yet decided on which of several ways to introduce it and then develop it.


Send out complimentary copies of my book SAD LAUGHTER: THE STAGE PLAY AND THE SCREENPLAY to five development producers associated with historical drama projects. A small investment for a very long shot but it makes me think I'm doing something more than nothing in the marketing arena.

Otherwise a low-key day. Feeling a tad under the weather, a sniffling kind of cold this time, so don't want to invite a major relapse.

Sunday night is a memorial to Paul deLay. We'll be there.

3 comments:

John said...

I remember Comedian in Spite of Himself from the links you sent with your resume back in the happy days of Americana. I remember loving it. I remember liking Half-Life more, but I remember loving this...

I hope SOMEBODY decides to produce the screenplay. I have strong desire to go to a cinema and see it. Plus it would silence those people on the screenwriting messge boards who type things like, "Who the hell is Charles Deemer and where is his movie playing?"

Speaking of Moliere, would you expain to me a strong criticism I've often had?

In performing Geronte in Physician in Spite of Himself back in the early 90's, I noticed this character makes a complete 180 in a single line to bring the play to a happy ending... This always seemed to me a "select-and-paste" ending. Was this a style, or was I missing something in the character?

Charles Deemer said...

The deus ex machina happy ending was common. It's in TARTUFFE, too, in which case the King explicitly required it.

John said...

Thanks Charles. This always bothered me. Even after the performances, I would always look back upon that with puzzlement.