Friday, March 23, 2007

First song

Well, I think my first song to arrange on the ukulele will be a fingerpicking version of the old classic written by the one-man Lone Wolf, Jesse Fuller: "San Francisco Bay Blues." It was an old fav of the group I used to play with in L.A. a zillion years ago and is the traditional song Ramblin' Jack Elliott used to open all his sets with. In fact, what impressed Jack most, regarding my credentials as a true fan, when I hung out with him for a few days here was that I had about four different versions of this song, including his first tries recorded in England.


Here Jesse Fuller is posed with his 12-string, harmonica, kazoo, and the instrument of his own invention and construction, the fotdella.

In the old days I usually sang the Elliott uptempo version of the song but here I'll be arranging the more traditional bluesy version by its author, the wonderful Jesse "Lone Cat" Fuller.

No comments: