Friday, November 24, 2006

Capturing an era



I bring too much to this film to be able to evaluate it. I like it a lot but I have so much context, personal and historical, to bring to the material that I simply don't know if someone without this background would appreciate the film. I hope so because I think Bobby does a good job of capturing many essential social and political attributes of the RFK phenomenon.

This film begins with a good premise: to tell the story of the RFK assassination from the point of view of characters who were there as workers and supporters and visitors to witness the event -- and be affected by it. This gives the movie a sprawling Altmanesque feel as we follow a lot of characters through the evening. A major theme is the same theme in the Auden poem I posted here a few days ago: how major historical events happen on ordinary days, affecting ordinary people.

I'm curious to know how those too young to remember this event respond to the movie.

No comments: