Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The old man and the harmonica

The harmonica seems the perfect instrument for this stage in my life. It's portable. Its sound can be reflective, contemplative, brooding. It's versatile.

Although I've played harp for years, it's always been on the rack with guitar. So this will be a new adventure and I may even have some bad habits to unlearn, which was the hardest part of learning claw hammer banjo. Here I am playing harmonica on a rack.

I enrolled in the Harmonica Academy in Australia and this will be the center of my self-education. I also have some supplemental material, both on Kindle and on CD. I have no performance goals -- my performing days are long gone, though I could see changing my mind if I got really good, which in fact I don't expect. I think I'll be capable and I'll have fun. That's enough. The most adventurous thing I'm doing is this: I ordered a minor key harp so I can learn Russian gypsy songs. I love Russian gypsy songs, always meant to learn and perform them on guitar but never took the time.

Waiting for my material to arrive, most end of the week. Then the new adventure begins. (Always a new adventure.)



My teaching schedule is set for next year. There was a minor issue when, on the first advanced list, I appeared in fall schedule but not on winter or spring. The department protested and it's been fixed. I get great support. PSU was been very good to me indeed. I'm most grateful.

No comments: