Saturday, April 21, 2012

Music in my life

Lately, reconnecting with people I knew decades ago, from the Army or from graduate school, I'm struck by the fact that much of what they remember about me is that I played and sang folk music. And I'm struck by the fact that the single greatest common denominator through all the changes of my years is the fact that I listen to west coast jazz. Indeed it's likely that today on the car radio I'll hear a tune that I listened to half a century ago -- and the very same version! (This is because we have such a great jazz radio station in town, KMHD).

It felt quite out of character, therefore, when I recently found myself with no desire to play my banjo. I had played guitar through most of my life but in the Army the five-string was my primary instrument. I never did learn claw hammer style. So a few years ago, I picked up the banjo again and took some lessons and learned claw hammer. Decent, too, if a tad slow. I even did some soundtrack music for my film. And then I lost all interest.

Strange. Was music disappearing from my life?

I'm happy to report: No! Just as with the banjo, I have sudden energy to pick up an instrument I played a little and get much better at it: the harmonica! I always played it on a rack, backup to the guitar, folk harmonica, Woody Guthrie harmonica. Now I feel the urge to take it off the rack and learn how to do more with it.

So I shall! A musician once again. I guess I was in transition. Now we'll see what happens.

No comments: