Thursday, March 22, 2012

Books, ebooks, audio books

I've been on, and will continue to be on, a major reading jag, more than I've done since graduate school. A prolific writer like myself had less time for reading than I would have preferred. I'm making up for lost time, perhaps.

I prefer reading on a Kindle, as I've said here before. It's simply easier on the eyes and hands. I can do everything with one hand: read, mark passages, look up words. Only when I make notes do I have to use both hands. I simply don't understand anyone interested in content preferring a bound book to a Kindle. Each is a content-delivery technology and should be compared as such.

Audio books are relatively new to me, and I love them. What I like about them, given a decent reader, is how they slow down the reading and emphasize the poetic quality of the language, if there is any. And an incredible reader, like David Drummond performing John Dos Passos, turns the book into a theatrical event. I'm listening now to Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, which I read years ago, and the experience strikes me as more moving than reading, perhaps because it's a slower process, with more time for emotional response.

Reading good books is one of the best things left to do in our dying world.

No comments: