Friday, May 04, 2012

Daily Kos: Kent State's 40th Anniversary (2010)

Daily Kos: Kent State's 40th Anniversary (2010):

"So many years have passed since the Ohio National Guard ended the lives of Allison Krause, Jeff Miller, Bill Schroeder and Sandy Scheuer and wounded nine others. Forty-two years... Such a very long time.... But no matter how much time passes, those of us who lived through Monday, May 4, 1970 remember the trauma as if it were yesterday. I guess we always will.

To those of you who asked me to write about the 40th anniversary event back in 2010 after I returned, please forgive me. I simply couldn't do it. I found myself utterly drained. I felt good about what I had experienced. I felt devastated by again being at Kent State. And, in the end, I just wanted to keep my silence, to hold tight to those private experiences, to shield my heart from any more interaction on the subject.

But, over the years, you have all been so supportive of my work on this issue that I couldn't shake the sense that I owed you a recap."

No comments: