Thursday, June 14, 2012

Stepping into the market

Only a few more students left to grade. I took a break and with the sun out, decided to shop for sausages to barbecue later. A confession: I doubt if I'll ever make my own sausages better than what I can buy at New Seasons and elsewhere. My scrapple and pate are great but my sausages leave much to learn and I'm not sure the energy and effort are worth it.

At any rate, entering the market it occurred to me -- I am FREE this summer! That is, my summer usually is a rush from teaching mode to creative mode, starting a 3-month summer obsession with one creative project or another, writing a novel one summer, making a feature film the next. No rest or relaxation at all. Which was not something I missed at the time.

But this summer -- no creative projects at all! Just household chores to do, at my leisure. It's quite a different feeling. Maybe it's a little like what retirement actually feels like. House chores, harmonica, cooking. I think I'm going to like this summer.

No comments: