Sunday, December 18, 2011

A Sunday of work

Difficult writing this morning. The ending sequence of this book is very difficult, at least so far, because the tone is so essential and I haven't got it right yet. But I want the action right first. I plow ahead, aware that I can fix everything later. I want to get to the end. I want to see what I have as whole cloth.

The library has my book of Robinson poems ready to pick up, which I'll do in an hour. The book-length trilogy of Arthurian poems I studied for my honors thesis at UCLA. Thought I'd see how my tastes have changed in fifty years. Or not. But I'm very curious.

Sketch is really conked out. I couldn't get him in the car to go with me for coffee this morning. Too cold out there!

UCLA women won the volleyball championship. I read that UCLA has more NCAA championships than any other university. I didn't realize that -- am surprised, in fact. All those small sports that good students do ha ha.

I decided against teaching Brokeback Mountain because the screenplay is much too literary to be a good model for students writing spec scripts. You can get away with that kind of writing when you're not competing in a slush pile and being evaluated by readers who get paid by the script, where over-writing is a very large sin. But in the real world of spec scripts and underpaid readers, literary writing is a shot in the foot. The real world says so, not I. I wish it were different but it isn't. My class is bolted to reality. The title of my screenwriting book, after all, is PRACTICAL screenwriting.

No comments: