Monday, October 26, 2009

Notes on a birthday trip


SATURDAY. Originally we planned to drive along the Columbia to Astoria, then down the coast to Lincoln City, where we had reservations at our usual Sailor Jack's, until we saw how far it was. Too much time in the car. We discovered this on the map as we started, so we backtracked, caught the usual highway to LC, and get in mid afternoon. Got our room.

Along the way, in Carlton, we had lunch at an Italian cafe. It' s a farm town turned wine tourist town. Great lunch, though we had an inexperienced frazzled waitress.

Dinner was disappointing. One of our favorite LC restaurants has new owners, not nearly as good.

SUNDAY. A relaxing day planned. I have to write some letters of recommendation, want to get them done today so I can upload them when we get home tomorrow.

Also been taking notes for the new screenplay, using the Contour manual I found online as a guide, hoping the software is waiting for me when I return. I like being a tree person now and again. I do intend to go through the entire development process with the software. A full road test.

LATER. Started writing the opening of the splay, jumping the gun. Just to get the feel of it, I guess. With Contour, you're not supposed to do any writing until the entire script is mapped out, sequence by sequence. A true tree person tool. But I have a forest heart, eager to jump right in. Once the software arrives, I do plan to play by the rules.

7:30 ... probably over an hour before H gets moving.

NOON. Ah, one disappointing restaurant is followed by a great discovery this morning, where breakfast was so good we'll be returning for their “early bird” dinner special. Then to a bakery with great wifi, catching up on email. Now Sketch and I are back at the motel and H is off to spend hours in the outlet stores, one of her LC rituals.

We'll take a leisurely drive home tomorrow, then off to dinner for our bday ritual at Todai. And then back to the grind, a year older but no wiser ha ha.

LATER. A relaxing afternoon! Doing a little writing (on the splay, still jumping the gun – I may end up throwing it all away but it's a good exercise for defining the characters), watching a movie off and on, listening to the ocean, watching Sketch snooze. A good afternoon.

EVENING. Watching the playoffs, rooting for the Yankees for a more interesting Wprld Series. Ah, mellow and relaxed! A great getaway for my bday.

MONDAY. Happy birthday to me! The big 7-0. H gave me a handmade card, a drawing of the ocean view from our Sailor Jack's window. Nice.

A gallery to visit this morning, then home. A leisurely drive. Eager to return home. Not even sure I want to do Todai tonight. We'll see.

Actually, I'm hoping Contour arrived and I can crank it up! I'm incurable, I guess.

No comments: