Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Football v. football

The transition took a number of years but I now can say I prefer international football, or what we call soccer, to American football. Here's why.

  • In American football, nothing happens most of the time -- that is, the time it takes to have a huddle and call a play is usually longer than the play itself. The rhythm of American football goes 3 parts inaction, 1 part action, 2 parts inaction, 1 part action, and so on. Most of the time is spent between plays.
  • In soccer, action is a continuous flow of rising and fading possibilities with very few breaks. Tension mounts incredibly. The players must be in incredible shape -- no Refrigerator Perrys here.
  • Being an international favorite sport, real football is played on a world stage, which is far more exciting than the parochial equivalent here.
  • International football is as exciting when women play as men.
In the early 1970s "Sally" and I spent the summer traveling around the country, from Eugene to Nova Scotia, camping, no plans, going hither and yon on whim, best vacation I ever had. One afternoon we drove into a southwest college town, I forget which, ready for lunch and a beer. 

The little town was like New Year's Eve! Ends up the World Cup was going on and the college had many foreign students, who were going bonkers with such energy that many American friends joined them. I knew nothing about the World Cup at the time but it's popularity made a lasting impression on me. What's all the fuss about? Some 40 years later, I get it.

No comments: