Monday, July 30, 2012

How disappointing

One of our fine theater companies over the years has been Jane Unger's Profile Theatre, which dedicates a season to the work of a single playwright. Great concept! How exciting to get their new brochure today and learn that the upcoming season is dedicated to Athol Fugard!


Sizwe Bansi Is Dead, Fugard's best play
Sizwe Bansi Is Dead, as readers of this blog may recall, is one of my very favorite plays, probably top three or four. So I rushed into the brochure to make my reservations. Instant disappointment. They are not doing the play. They are giving it the lip service of a free one-night staged reading, this to what I consider his most powerful work. Pisses me off.

Fortunately, I saw a brilliant production at Ashland some time ago. But why they aren't producing it is beyond me.

No comments: