Saturday, December 10, 2011

Army-Navy

My black-eyed peas are on the stove, which I make every year for the Army-Navy game, perhaps my last surviving tradition without interruption. And this may be the last "old school" college football game left (unless you look at the smaller colleges) in a sport that turns more obscene each year. I am an Army vet but was a Navy brat -- and I always root for Navy, which shows you the power of childhood experience. I even rooted for Navy while in the Army but kept it secret. This, of course, was the game of the year in my family, and most of that has lasted through the decades. This year both teams have losing records but this is irrelevant. Army-Navy is Army-Navy! Nor the money nor the NCAA has spoiled it yet. Maybe it's all just the power of courts martial ha ha.

No comments: