Monday, May 09, 2011

Recently viewed: Rabbit Hole

This is a finely crafted moving film, a drama of family tragedy, a genre you see too little of in recent years. What impressed me most is that it's based on a stage play, I learn today, but the film was successfully translated so this was not apparent to me when I watched it last night. The film wasn't "talky," as movies based on plays often are. Instead visual storytelling was the prominent dramatic tool and with great success. Nicole Kidman is brilliant -- but then she often is. I'd consider teaching this if the screenplay were published. One thing bothered me a tad, though: the ending felt like the ending of Monster/s Ball and duplicated the ending gesture of The Kids Are All Right, which almost suggested moments like this are becoming a cliche in film. Join hands and go on. A small thing but a new gesture would have been nice.

No comments: