Saturday, January 16, 2010

The clawhammer fingernail


When I was trying to learn this style on my own, I used the middle finger because that's what the teacher on a DVD used. I ended up tearing the hell out of it, which is when I went back to the Seeger strum, which doesn't have as driving or as traditional a sound.

This time, in class, I am using the index finger because that's what the teacher uses. And so far, the fingernail is fine. As a matter of fact, I think my index fingernail is stronger than my middle fingernail. Interesting. My middle fingernail got torn already, just using it to compare how the difference felt. The index fingernail is hanging in there. I didn't know fingernails have different strengths but they appear to.

So far, so good. I think I'm going to love this class: love its discipline and love the access to a live teacher to tell me when I am doing something wrong. She's a busy lady, on tour a lot, so I don't know if her second class will immediately follow but I hope so, I'd sure sugn up again.

No comments: